decembrie 18, 2010

While Queen


...Alice carefully released the brush, and did her best to get the hair into order. `Come, you look rather better now!' she said, after altering most of the pins. `But really you should have a lady's maid!' `I'm sure I'll take you with pleasure!' the Queen said. `Twopence a week, and jam every other day.' Alice couldn't help laughing, as she said, `I don't want you to hire me -- and I don't care for jam.' `It's very good jam,' said the Queen. `Well, I don't want any to-day, at any rate.' `You couldn't have it if you did want it,' the Queen said. `The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday -- but never jam to-day.' `It must come sometimes to "jam do-day,"' Alice objected. `No, it can't,' said the Queen. `It's jam every other day: to-day isn't any other day, you know.' `I don't understand you,' said Alice. `It's dreadfully confusing!' `That's the effect of living backwards,' the Queen said kindly: `it always makes one a little giddy at first -- `Living backwards!' Alice repeated in great astonishment. `I never heard of such a thing!' ` -- but there's one great advantage in it, that one's memory works both ways.' `I'm sure mine only works one way.' Alice remarked.

`I can't remember things before they happen.'

`It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards,' the Queen remarked. `What sort of things do you remember best?' Alice ventured to ask. `Oh, things that happened the week after next,' the Queen replied in a careless tone...

Niciun comentariu: